WildnSwole is reader-supported. When you buy through links on my site I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Living in a van can be a great way to get around and see the world.
It can also be a great way to get fit!
If you’re looking for the best gym membership for van life, you’ve come to the right place.
I’ve compiled a list of the 10 best gym memberships for those who live in their vans.
I’ve included gyms with no contracts, month-to-month memberships, and free trials so you can find the right one for you.
Get fit while living your best van life!
Table of Contents
The Best Gyms for Van Life in 2023
Before we get into the reviews I just want to note that the rules, amenities, prices, and hours for each gym may vary depending on your location.
1. Anytime Fitness (Best Gym Membership With the Most Locations)
With over 4,700 locations worldwide and 24/7 access 365 days a year, conveniently working out has never been easier.
When you sign up with Anytime Fitness, you get a personalized starter plan so you can hit the ground running with your fitness goals.
Their gyms are equipped with private bathrooms and showers for your comfort and convenience when you’re on the go!
You will also find a good arsenal of free weights, machines, and cardio equipment at each location.
Say goodbye to crowded fitness centers or a wait for certain machines as they’ve usually got plenty available for whatever you want to work on!
Their team is composed of certified trainers who are passionate about helping people reach their goals and enriching lives one workout at a time.
Anytime Fitness Membership Plans/Features
The average cost of an Anytime Fitness membership is $41 per month.
Each location is independently owned so contracts and amenities will vary.
In general, Anytime Fitness offers 24/7 access to shower rooms, tanning beds, WIFI, and weight/cardio areas, along with coaching/app services.
- They usually have a great community atmosphere
- You get a key fob that provides access at any time of the year
- There’s an Anytime Fitness app exclusively for members to access workout plans and coaching
- 24/7 access to bathrooms and showers
- Some locations offer a 7-day free trial, guest passes, and group classes
- The bathrooms tend to be dirty, especially on the weekends
- Some locations are rather small and lack equipment
- There’s a 30-day trial period that only gives you key fob access to your home gym, after this, it works for all locations worldwide
2. Planet Fitness (Best Gym Membership for Full Time Van Lifers)
Are you living the van life and looking for a gym that fits into your lifestyle?
Look no further than Planet Fitness!
With over 2300 locations worldwide, you can jump into a workout wherever your travels take you.
You’ll be sure to appreciate their judgment-free zone where you can work out hassle-free.
In 2022, Planet Fitness was given the ‘Well Health Safety’ rating for excellence in health and safety protocols.
They offer all the amenities you need including tanning beds if that’s what you’re into, as well as massage chairs after a tough session.
Plus the convenient locker rooms come with showers so you can freshen up on the go.
Planet Fitness Membership Plans/Features
Many locations offer a low-cost or zero-down startup fee for both the black card and standard membership.
Unfortunately, they don’t usually allow you to pay with a credit card.
- Black Card Membership: $22.99/month with an annual fee
- Bring a guest (Home location only)
- Gives you entry to all Planet Fitness Gyms
- Access to tanning, massage, and red light therapy (TBE)
- All of the classic membership benefits
- Classic Membership: $10/month with fees
- Home gym access to cardio and strength training equipment
- Reward perks
- They’re usually really clean
- Free WIFI (I’ve seen many people come there for the sole purpose of doing computer work)
- Clean and large locker rooms (Bring your own lock)
- Large selection of cardio machines
- All members get free fitness training
- There’s a PF App that allows you to track and follow on-demand workouts
- No standard squat racks or barbells
- The hours of Planet Fitness locations will vary (Some are open 24 hours during the week and close late on the weekends)
3. Crunch Fitness (Best Gym Membership for Group Classes)
At Crunch Fitness, you’ll find a welcoming environment where everyone is encouraged to reach their fitness goals without feeling intimidated.
From high-intensity workouts to low-impact sports, they’ve got something for everyone!
With custom options like all-inclusive annual memberships or monthly payments, there’s no pressure to commit long-term.
Plus, with their superior range of strength and cardio machines, you won’t miss the opportunity to get your sweat on.
Get ready for streaming yoga and Zumba, battle ropes combined with weights, ball slams with boot camp exercises, and so much more!
Their certified trainers are both experienced and inspiring, bringing you the motivation you need for success.
Crunch Fitness Membership Plans/Features
Both the peak and peak results memberships currently have a $1.00 initiation fee.
- Base: 14.99/month
- Access to your home club
- Locker rooms with showers
- Online and in-person resources
- Peak: 24.99/month
- All of the Base membership perks
- Access to 380 nationwide gyms
- Book classes with a group
- Live Online workouts
- Bring a guest
- Online deals and a free t-shirt
- HydroMassage and tanning
- Peak Results: 34.99/month
- All of the Base and Peak membership perks
- HIIT classes
- 3D Body Scans
- There’s a free day pass to see if you like it
- You have the option to pay monthly or yearly
- They have free WIFI
- Crunch offers a wide array of workout options compared to other gyms
- High-quality equipment
- Good cleanliness
- The group classes at Crunch are a great way to make new friends
- Most locations open early in the morning and close late at night
- The only downside is that they’re not open 24/7 365 days a year
4. YMCA (Best Gym Membership for the East Coast)
With over 2,700 locations nationwide, the YMCA helps you get into tip-top shape.
You’ll love all of their solid equipment and fun classes such as strength and conditioning.
Plus, don’t forget about their fantastic selection of cardio machines that are perfect for beginners or long-time gym regulars.
Other perks include steam rooms, saunas, and swimming pools to racquetball & basketball courts, the options are endless!
And if you’re feeling like going hard in the paint so to speak, why not check out a group fitness program?
It’s like having your own personal trainer to keep you motivated and on track while having fun too!
With a membership to the YMCA, you can use all of their locations within the USA.
Membership costs will vary depending on your age and the location you sign up at.
You can even sign-up for a virtual membership called the YMCA360.
This will give you access to different styles of workouts with minimal equipment, available anywhere.
- They usually have a nice setup for weight/powerlifters with deadlift platforms, Olympic benches, and squat racks
- Locker rooms and showers are available
- YMCAs generally have a community atmosphere, which could be a great way to meet new people
- Volunteer opportunities
- There are no annual fees (there is an initiation fee)
- They have some good deals for family/couple memberships
- Most locations aren’t 24/7
- Not every location has all of the perks I mentioned above, such as a swimming pool or steam room
5. Lifetime Fitness (Offers Digital Memberships)
With a Lifetime Fitness membership, you get unbeatable discounts on a range of nutrition and equipment products.
From indoor tennis courts to outdoor pools, these gyms offer something for everyone.
And don’t forget bathrooms and locker rooms, because I know how important it is for you to stay clean and organized!
Lifetime Fitness Membership Plans/Features
They have three sign-up options:
The digital membership gives you access to all of the online material that they offer.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to use any of their actual clubs with it.
Both the standard and signature plans allow you to use designated clubs, group classes, and sports courts.
- Clean facilities
- There is a daycare service that will watch your child for up to 2.5 hours
- Quality equipment
- You can schedule a free tour or sign-up for a day pass at an extra cost
- Some locations offer spa services and have a salon
- There’s a towel service
- Expensive memberships compared to most gyms
- They’re not 24/7
6. 24-Hour Fitness (Best Gym for 24/7 Amenities)
24-Hour Fitness has everything you need to take your workouts to the next level.
Go and play some racquetball or basketball on their courts.
Find a new personal best with their high-quality free weights, cool down with a dip in the pool, or relax in the whirlpool, they’ve got it all for you!
You can access most of the nearly 300 clubs at any time of day, so there’s no excuse not to make those gains!
Plus, download the 24GO workout app so you can stay active on the road.
24-Hour Fitness Membership Plans/Features
- Access to weights and cardio equipment at a single club
- Access to weights, classes, cardio, courts, and swimming pools
- Access to any 24 Hour Fitness within your region
- GX24 classes
- All silver and gold benefits
- Two buddy passes
- Access to all clubs nationwide
- You can get a free 3-day pass to see if you’ll use the gym regularly
- Most clubs are open 24/7
- All members have locker room privileges
- Free WIFI
- The higher-tier memberships give you access to the GoodLife Fitness gym chain in Canada
- Some locations are not open all day on Sundays
7. Gold’s Gym (Best Gym for Free Weights)
Most Gold’s Gyms provide plenty of services and amenities which can add up to a great experience each time you come in.
You can take some time off from heavy lifting at their sauna, or challenge yourself on the basketball courts.
When it’s all said and done, cool off in a relaxing swimming pool complete with a shower, and enjoy a delicious smoothie from the smoothie bar.
And don’t forget to pick up some premium Gold’s Gym branded equipment at their Pro Shops.
Gold’s Gym Membership Plans/Features
Prices and plans vary based on your location.
There are roughly 740 locations globally.
- New members are eligible for a free pass
- There’s usually a large selection of equipment ranging from machines to weights, to Bosu balls
- Plenty of cardio machines
- They offer group classes with highly certified personal trainers
- The travel pass only allows you to use other locations 14 times before you will be charged an additional fee
- I have seen complaints of poor management and property maintenance at some locations
8. Equinox Fitness Club (Best Gyms for Luxury)
The Equinox Fitness Club provides one-on-one personal training, Pilates, and a wide range of group classes.
Their spa services provide the ultimate indulgence: relax your muscles after an intense workout and soothe your soul from daily stressors.
With 106 clubs worldwide and the convenient Equinox+ app, there is always a way to train!
They strive to provide unmatched service when it comes to fitness and relaxation.
Equinox Membership Plans/Features
On average it’s about $200 per month to use Equinox.
And if you’re looking to get a multi-club entry you’ll have to fork over even more than that.
Here’s what you’ll get with membership:
- In-person/virtual PT sessions
- In-person/virtual pilates
- Discount on your first purchase from their shop
- The Equinox+ app
- Unlimited classes
- High-class equipment and showers
- Some locations have a pool and laundry services
- Clean facilities
- Friendly staff
- Costly initiation fee
- There are not many gyms spread around the country and they aren’t open 24/7
9. Orangetheory Fitness (Best Gym for HIIT)
Orangetheory is convenient and accessible with nationwide access to over 1300 locations.
Make your life even easier with the OrangeTheory App which allows you to easily track and save workouts.
With month-to-month payments, you’ll never have to commit to a long-term membership.
They even offer a 30-day money-back guarantee on all of their memberships.
At Orangetheory Fitness, HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) comes alive in exciting group classes.
This is where encouraging coaches and upbeat music help push you beyond what you think is possible.
Orangetheory Membership Plans/Features
- Unlimited classes with a reduced rate for family
- 8 classes per month with a reduced rate for extras
- 4 classes per month with a reduced rate for extras
- Class Packages
- You can purchase 10, 20, or 30 classes
- They currently offer a free intro week for new guests
- The workouts are adaptable to your fitness level at your own pace
- You can freeze your membership for 30-60 days up to two times per year
- Friendly fitness instructors
- Pre-planned workouts
- The in-club workouts are mostly group-focused, so it’s not an ideal gym if you prefer working out alone
- They’re not usually open very late
10. LA Fitness (Largest Facilities)
With more than 750 gigantic facilities spread across the US and Canada, you’ll find everything you need to get fit at LA Fitness.
Every club offers an array of specialized amenities for optimal fitness results.
They offer a babysitting service so you can work out in peace, as well as a free fitness assessment so you can track your progress.
Taking advantage of their pool, spa, and sauna provides a chance to relax after a tough workout.
On top of that, with superior cardio and strength equipment on hand, you are sure to have a great workout, every single time!
Need some motivation?
Group and personal training classes will help keep you motivated.
LA Fitness Membership Plans/Features
- Single State: $34.99 per month + $99 initial fee
- Includes all amenities at the gyms in your state
- All Clubs: $49.99 + $0 startup fee
- Includes all amenities in LA Fitness nationwide
- 2 guest privileges
- There is a free 3-day trial
- They rarely get crowded since they’re typically so big
- The amount of amenities you get is pretty nice compared to other gyms at similar prices
- A good arsenal of equipment for everyone
- Private showers
- Hours vary from club to club, but they typically aren’t 24/7
- Their personal trainers aren’t always the most experienced
How To Choose the Right Gym Membership for You
There are a few things to consider when choosing a gym membership for the van life.
The first thing to think about is whether you want a membership that allows you to use all of the gyms in the network or just one specific gym.
If you’re planning on traveling a lot, it might be better to go with a network membership so that you can use any of the gyms in the network.
However, if you know you’ll only be using one gym, it might make more sense to go with a single-gym membership.
The second thing to think about is how often you’ll be using the gym.
If you’re only going to be using it once or twice a month, it might make more sense to pay per visit instead of getting a monthly or yearly membership.
On the other hand, if you’re going to be using the gym regularly, it’s probably worth getting a monthly or yearly membership.
Finally, think about what kind of workouts you’ll be doing.
If you’re mainly interested in cardio workouts, then a general gym will likely work fine.
However, if you’re looking for more specialized training, like Crossfit or martial arts classes, then you’ll need to find a gym that has the proper equipment.
FAQs From Van Dwellers
Can I Use Planet Fitness Just To Shower?
Yes, you can use Planet Fitness just to shower as long as you’re a member.
Just make sure to bring a towel!
How Do You Find a Gym When Traveling?
Go online and do a Google search for “gyms near me.”
This will give you a list of gym chains in your area with contact information, hours, and directions.
You can also ask locals for recommendations on where to go.
They may know of a gym that’s not listed online or in an app.
One easy way to do this is by going to a nearby gas station and seeing if the attendant knows of any.
Which Gym Membership Is Best for Van Life?
Planet Fitness is the best gym for van life because it has over 2300 locations and the Black Card gives you access to every single one.
They also offer free WIFI and showers, which are both great amenities to have when living in a van.
Which Gym Is Best for Travelers?
The Anytime Fitness gym is the best gym for travelers.
They have over 4700 locations worldwide that can be accessed 24/7, 365 days a year with plenty of equipment.
On top of that, there are private bathrooms with showers, along with free parking in most cases.
Can You Use a Hotel Gym Without Staying There?
Yes, you can typically use a hotel gym without staying there as long as you are a guest of someone who is.
Just be sure to ask the staff or check their policies beforehand.
Who Has the Cheapest Gym Membership Fee?
Planet Fitness has the cheapest gym memberships.
Their base plan is $10.00 per month and allows you to use the fitness equipment, showers, and lockers at your home club.
The Black Card Membership is about $23.00 per month and provides entry to all locations, guest passes, and massage/tanning privileges.
There is usually an initiation and annual fee for both plans.
Summary of the Best Gym Membership for Van Life
The van life can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it’s important to stay healthy and fit while on the road.
That’s why I’ve compiled this list of the 10 best gym memberships for van life in 2023.
Whether you’re looking for a traditional gym or something more specialized like HIIT or yoga, I’ve got you covered.
So what are you waiting for?
Get out there and find your perfect fitness match!