WildnSwole is reader-supported. When you buy through links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
If you’re looking to target your triceps and achieve defined arms, using a tricep extension machine is a great way to do it.
In this article, I’ll show you how to use the machine for the best results and share some tips on how to make your workout more effective.
So read on and learn how to use a tricep extension machine today!
Table of Contents
How To Perform The Machine Triceps Extension
- Set the seat to an appropriate height.
- Put the weight stack to a comfortable resistance.
- Sit down on the machine with your elbows and upper arm against the padded support.
- Place your hands on the handles, keeping your elbows close to your sides.
- Use your triceps to extend your arms and push the weight down until your elbows are straight.
- Slowly bring the weight back up to the starting position until your arms are about 90 degrees.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- For optimal results be sure to squeeze for 2-3 seconds during the contracted position.
- Avoid returning to the starting position too fast. Keep constant tension and slowly return to the starting position.
Tricep Extension Machine: Upper Arm Benefits
The tricep extension machine is a piece of equipment that allows you to isolate the tricep muscle and work it through a full range of movement.
This is beneficial because it ensures that you are targeting the triceps properly.
It also reduces the amount of stabilizing muscles that are activated, which can lead to better tricep-focused stimulation.
- A great strength training and muscle-building exercise for the triceps
- A very effective movement to properly isolate the triceps through a full range of movement
- Reduces shoulder strain
- Achieve an excellent tricep workout.
- Feel confident and powerful as you work out.
- Gain a sense of satisfaction as your triceps begin to take shape.
The tricep muscles are the main targets of this exercise. It may also slightly engage the shoulders.
The triceps are located on the back of the upper arm.
They are responsible for extending the elbow and rotating the arm palm upward.
The tricep muscles can be divided into the lateral head, medial head, and long head.
Alternative Triceps Exercises
If you don’t have access to the machine tricep extensions here is a list of great alternatives that are sure to give you a great pump!
- Position your thumbs and pointer fingers together (in a diamond shape) on the floor and extend your legs behind you.
- Lower your body toward the floor, keeping your back straight and your abdominals engaged.
- Stop when your chest is a few inches from touching the floor, then push yourself back to the starting position, until your arms are fully extended.
- Repeat for 10-12 reps.
Modification: If you can’t perform a full push-up with good form, try doing them from your knees.
Straight Bar Cable Tricep Pushdowns
- Attach a straight bar to a high pulley.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing down).
- Step back from the cable pulleys, plant your feet into a solid position, and lean your upper body over the straight bar.
- Without moving your upper arms, flex at the elbows to lower the bar down.
- Pause for a count of two, then slowly raise your lower arm upwards to return the bar to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdowns
- Attach an angled or straight bar to the high pulley of a cable machine.
- Find an appropriate weight selection.
- Take a step back and use a stance with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Grasp the bar with an underhand grip that is about shoulder width.
- Keeping your upper arms close to your sides and elbows pointing down, extend your forearms to push the weight down until your hands are next to your thighs.
- Reverse the movement by flexing at the elbows and bringing the bar back up to the starting position.
Grow Your Upper Arms With The Machine Triceps Extension
The machine triceps extension is a great way to isolate the triceps muscle and work it through a full range of motion.
This makes it an ideal triceps exercise for those looking to build strength and muscle in their upper arms.
Additionally, the reduced shoulder strain makes this one of the best movements for those with joint pain or other shoulder issues.
- Target the triceps appropriately with a full range of motion
- Reduce strain on the shoulder
- Build stronger, more muscular triceps
- Achieve the perfect tricep workout
When it comes to working out, the triceps are often neglected.
This can lead to imbalances in the body and a lack of strength and muscle in this area.
Try Adding the triceps extension machine to your exercise program to avoid this issue.